Let’s know how doctors do to connect you with proper management
Put in your mind that liver cirrhosis is irreversible, but the liver can repair some damage. Treatment aims to maintain as much normal function to the liver as possible. MELD or Child-Pugh scores are valuable to evaluate the severity of the liver disease based on several lab values. “The greater the score, the more severe the disease”
The treatment plan is as follows:
- Cutting down further alcohol abuse is the first factor for recovery in patients with alcoholic hepatitis. Ceasing to consume alcohol will often reverse the condition in its early stages.
- Nutrition Supplementation supports liver function and reduces the risk of encephalopathy and infections. Eat low-sodium foods and take vitamin supplements to improve your health.
- You should also eat three well-balanced meals per day and drink enough water to remain hydrated.
- Corticosteroids: patients should be treated with prednisolone 40 mg daily for four weeks followed by gradual tapering.
- IV N-acetylcysteine: conjugation with corticosteroids prevents infection and hepatorenal syndrome and improves condition at 28 days.
- Your doctor will give you antibiotics if you are at risk for bacterial infections.
- Early liver transplantation saves lives. Patients must remain abstinent from alcohol for six months before transplantation.