When to consult the doctor?
Call your doctor immediately or ask the emergency department if you feel a strong sense of pressure on the affected area and/or loss of sensitivity and tingling; it is important to exclude a possible compartment syndrome. Increased pressure on the soft tissues and on the structures under the skin can cause a reduction in the flow of blood and oxygen, with possible serious complications.
The smaller bruises or ecchymosis can be treated easily.
However, it is advisable to go to the doctor if:
- the condition does not disappear within two weeks
- you get bruised easily even without the impact
- sudden bruises appear for no apparent reason
- a bruise starts to hurt more than usual
- the bruise swells
- you can not move an articulation/joint
- the bruise is in the vicinity of the eye
- signs of infection appear.